Sunday, October 6, 2013

Planning Ahead is Always Better

Planning ahead always takes extra time, creativity and patience, but it's definitely worth it.  My husband and and I spend about 1 - 1.5 hours a week planning out our meals for the next week.  When I say "planning" that also includes researching.

We aren't the cooking type or very knowledgable in the kitchen, but we're learning.  So our research includes looking up new recipes, figuring out if we can execute and we also try to plan our dinners so left overs can be part of our lunches the next day at work.  In this planning we include our meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner for me), workout schedule (again me), work schedule & activities schedule (church, sports, etc.)  Then we make a master list of all the groceries we need based on our planned week, and we review what we already have in stock.

Again, this all takes time, but it is worth it.  How many times have you said, "ah, we'll figure it out" and then you go out to dinner?  That's more money being spent.  Or you spend the evening snacking because you didn't know what you wanted to cook for dinner.  Not the healthiest option.

At home I just put together this self-made family planning organization center.  I purchased a weekly
planner & a grocery list pad from Organizher.  Each week this is where we combine all of meals, exercise, work, etc.  Below I put these 99¢ index card holders to the wall with reusable stickies.  Each holder came with index dividers.  I have one divider for juicing & smoothies, one for meals & one for "more" such as snacks and sides.  Each tap has a category, but the first tab is "this week".  After we plan out our week I'll put the corresponding recipe card under "this week" so it's easy to find when starting a recipe.  Ultimately I will put a 3" ring around all of them so they're easy to transport while planning.  On my pinterest page I have a large, and growing, collection of recipes and ideas, but it's difficult to find the ones you want when you really need it.  I will also be adding motivational quotes and images around the area.  Those kind of things do get in your subconscious and are great motivators.  My latest favorite is "Every time you eat is an opportunity to nourish your body."

The best grocery advice is something you've probably already heard, but it's to shop around the outside walls of the grocery store.  That's where the most fresh, least processes foods are.  Things like fruit, vegetables, dairy & meats.  Check out this video from NourishLife.org:


No comments:

Post a Comment