Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Post Daniel Fast Revelation

I'm 48 hours out from the end of my 7-day Daniel Fast and I've had a revelation.

Last week I did 7 full days of fasting with the Daniel Fast (only fruits, vegetables and whole grains) and prayer each day.  I successfully completed this fast and it felt amazing.  Every meal was a juice or a smoothie made of of fruits & vegetables.

Yesterday, my first day back to "real" food, I had a weird feeling.  My body reaction was off, but expected.  But the taste of the food wasn't all that impressive.  I had a bagel in the morning, grilled cheese in the afternoon and even In-N-Out french fries with the hubby.  But none of that met my expectation of what I thought I was missing.  My tastebuds were satisfied, but not impressed.

So that got me thinking...

Do I need anything more than the Daniel Fast?
Is my body on to something that my mind isn't aware of yet?
What if I did the fast more permanently?
What would happen?

So here's what I'm going to do...

I'm going to do a hybrid of "real life" and the Daniel Fast.  This week I'm going to play out our meal plan because we already have it written out and did our grocery shopping.  Then, after the end of the week I'm going to reassess how my body reacted and how I felt.

I'm going to incorporate juices and smoothies at almost every morning meal and dinner meal.  This will exceed my 5 servings of fruit & vegetables requirement by a landslide, it will create less snacking, more fullness and more nutrition.

Here's what I need to figure out...

...and if you have any suggestions please let me know.
  • As a picky eater, how will I eat more "Daniel" and organically while in public situations?
  • How do I close that gap between eating in the comfort of my own home and in the real world?
  • How realistic is this long term and will I be satisfied?
  • Can I push myself out of my comfort zone to try new smoothies and juices?
  • What is it my body needs?
I recently purchased the book "The Smoothie Bible second edition" and it's really good.  It breaks down the entire body in simple terms, gives direction on each ingredient that you'll use, and tips for any problems you're having (ex: anxiety --> then make this).  It's really opening my eyes that you are what you eat and that only YOU have control of what goes in your mouth.





I'll be blogging all the way through.  In the mean time, here's a great smoothie I enjoyed this morning.  It has:
  • 1 cup water
  • 1-2 cup spinach
  • Handful of blueberries
  • 1 banana
  • 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
  • 5-7 large frozen strawberries
Blend & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment