Sunday, January 19, 2014

Day 5, 6 & 7 - The Daniel Fast

Didn't mean to leave everyone hanging there...but it's been a jammed packed couple of days.

Day 6 of the Daniel Fast (yesterday) was the most difficult.  I think it had to do with a couple of things:

  • So close to the end of the fast and you can see the light.
  • I work at a family entertainment center, and smells of the amazing pizzas, mozzarella sticks, french fries and more were more intense (all the stuff you CAN'T have during the fast of course.)
  • It's a test of strength.  Not physical strength, but mental and spiritual strength.
In my mind, I wanted to give up and quit and eat something.  But in my heart I made a commitment to God and I genuinely wanted to keep that promise.  The object of fasting spiritually is simple.  You fast to disconnect the world (ex: doing the Daniel Fast you're saying you don't need the food of the world like process foods, etc.) and to draw closer to God.  This is done with prayer.

Today is Day 7, the final day of the fast.  I'm excited and joyous.  Here's what I've learned from this experience:
  • Prayer is more powerful than most realize, and it should be exercised daily. 
  • With God all things are possible.  Most people know this verse, but you don't "see" it until you need the help from God to not even be tempted by a pint size Blue Bell ice cream.
  • Personally, I need to pause.  Take more time between what I hear and when I speak.  Take a moment to absorb information and process it before adding my opinion.
  • I've become more relaxed, in a positive manner.  I'm less high strung about life.  This is all because God is in control of EVERYTHING.  Again, why prayer is so important. 
  • I want God to shine through my life with what I do, what I say and how I act.
  • I learned a variety of juicing and smoothie recipes that I wouldn't have otherwise tried.
I would suggest a fast for anyone.  Take time to plan it out and have your meal plan ready.  Do it when your church does it and go to their prayer sessions.  Blog about or write in a journal to document what you learned or felt.  And have a friend or family member do it with you.  This helps with encouragement and it's nice to have someone to talk to about it.

Glory to God for all this and for my transformation.


No comments:

Post a Comment